321546

Friday 20 May 2016

Wasting Time

I grew up in a slightly different era, especially when it comes to things like media. Back in the day, it was newspaper, radio and a t.v. with just one or two channels (imagine!). My father used to call the television "the idiot box" and us kids were only allowed to watch a few, select programs each week, not that there were a lot to choose from anyway.
We were outside all the time, playing with all the other kids who were also outside. In fact, you could hardly get us indoors and my mother used to call me multiple times to come in for the night, then flick the porch light on and off when I didn't listen, then, horror, ring the bell. The latter was a souvenir from our travels through Europe and embarrassed me to no end when she rang it, so needless to say her tactic worked! haha!
After leaving home and well into the first years of my marriage many years down the road, I/we never even owned a television. In fact, in an ironic twist, my parents bought us our first t.v. after our son was born in 1985, saying it would deprive him somehow if we didn't let him watch it when he was old enough to do so.
Nowadays, I could easily revert back to a no t.v. household. However, since we do love to watch movies, and they are so accessible through NetFlix and our cable provider, it looks like the 'idiot box' is here to stay. haha!

Time keeps on slipping...

No comments:

Post a Comment