321546

Thursday 14 April 2016

Paul, The Psychic!

Hopefully you read and enjoyed my post on April 4th, which was titled 'Led Zeppelin Returns'. It really had nothing to do with the band and was merely tied to the post because of the eponymous first album's cover art, depicting the fiery crash of the Hindenburg. The post was actually discussing the return of the zeppelin and how these airships are going to become part of a more eco-friendly, dependable cargo carrier that can access remote areas on a year round basis.
What does that have to do with me being a psychic you ask? Merely that a week later, Led Zeppelin is in the news, which struck me as a funny after referencing them earlier. Yesterday I was listening to CBC radio while getting ready for work (okay, I was actually lolling about in bed trying to wake up) and was quite interested in the news snippet about a law suit against Led Zeppelin for copyright infringement. Another band, Spirit, wrote a song called 'Taurus' about 3 years prior to 'Stairway To Heaven' and the familiarity is very hard to ignore, hence the accusation of said copyright infringement.
I have to admit that the opening guitar riff of the Zeppelin song does sound a lot like the one in 'Taurus' and considering that Led Zeppelin did tour with and open for Spirit in their early years, it is entirely possible that Jimmy Page may have heard the song and borrowed the descending guitar piece, intentionally or not.
I have seen a lot of great bands play live in my many years but never saw Led Zeppelin, even though I did see Spirit perform in Detroit, circa 1972. The opening act for them at that time, by the way, was none other than recently formed and now extremely well known Z.Z.Top.
My favourite Spirit album "The Twelve Dreams Of Dr. Sardonicus"

No comments:

Post a Comment